Home Education Frequently Asked Questions – Education

We have provided below a series of most commonly asked questions. Please browse through this section of the website prior to contacting our National Training Providers or Australian Canoeing. If you cannot find what you are looking for or you have further questions regarding a topic covered, Australian Canoeing and our National Training Provider staff will be happy to assist you.

Should you need to contact us – please email education@canoe.org.au. When emailing your enquire please leave your full name, contact phone number, the state in which you live and your enquiry.


Where can I complete a course to acquire a skills/lifeguard/guide/instructor award?

Please click here to find a National Training Provider in your state.

Please note: Australian Canoeing does not conduct courses.

Benefits of becoming an AC Guide or Instructor

  • Proof of currency
  • State and National Recognition
  • Peer validated scheme that is responsive to emerging trends and opportunities
  • Insurance cover when delivering through association with Australian Canoeing
  • Insurance when delivering the Paddle Oz program
  • Conferences, Training and Networking Opportunities
  • Access to world class expert advice

Where can I find information about the Courses?

In 2014 Australia Canoeing began a review process of all the education courses and released  the new courses – Australian Canoeing Award Scheme.  To find information about all the courses – please click here.

Which qualification do I need - Guide or Instructor?

Australian Canoeing has made a distinction between Guides and Instructors based on the activities they undertake with their participants.

Guide  – A person who leads or guides a group without the intention of imparting skills or knowledge beyond that which is necessary to participate safely and adequately in the activity. At the end of a session or program with a guide, the intent is not for the participant to have acquired the skills to independently participate in the activity.

Instructor – A person who facilitates skill transfer or development to participants in order that they may act independently or with minimal supervision. This requires the instructor to be able to critique technique, apply a variety of appropriate instructional strategies and may require them to assess participant’s skill acquisition at the end of a program or session.

How do I know my Instructor and Assessor have up-to-date qualifications?

You can search Instructors and Assessors qualifications to ensure that they are up-to-date – please click here.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do your course with an Assessor and Instructor that does not have a current qualification with Australian Canoeing your application will not be processed.

What is a National Training Provider?

A National Training Provider is either a State Member Association or a private commercial organisation that has entered into a contact with Australian Canoeing to conduct education courses on behalf of Australian Canoeing. To search for a National Training Provider nearest to you – please click here

I want to find my nearest course, what do I do?

Click here to find the National Training Provider in your area. If there is not one in your area, please contact your State Canoeing body as they may be holding a course in your area.

National Training Providers

Do National Training Providers have to renew their contract with Australian Canoeing?

Yes, NTP’s have to renew their contracts on the 1st July.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do your course through a company that is not recognised by Australian Canoeing your application will not be processed.

I want to become a National Training Provider, where do I start?

Please contact Australian Canoeing at education@canoe.org.au or (02) 97630670


What do I need to register or re-register?

REGISTRATION – To register for the first time your assessor/National Training Provider will organise and send in the paperwork on your behalf to Australian Canoeing. To ensure this process goes through smoothly please provide payment details.

RE-REGISTRATIONPlease click here to download the re-registration forms. Please follow the instructions as you are required to meet 100 points to re-register.

I hold an AC award and have just gained another what is the cost of registration for the second award?

If you already hold an AC Guide or Instructor award and you have either added another craft or leader award, then the the cost for the second registration is $18. This will align your new award with your old one.

How long does it take to process my awards?

Once all the paperwork and payment has been received it should take 10 working days to process.

How often do I have to re-register my awards?

If you have to re-register your lifeguard, guide, instructor and assessor awards every 3 years except. An email is sent to you 3 months before your awards are up for renewal.

It is important that you keep your contact details up-to-date. This can be done by clicking here and using your user name and password.  If you require your login details please contact education@canoe.org.au.

If my award is 3 months or more out of date, what do I need to do to re-register?

Please see Re registering expired awards here

Do I need to submit my First Aid Certificate?

No. However AC recommends that you hold a current First aid certificate at a level appropriate to your area of operation.

How do I Pay?

Your application to register or re-registration will not be processed under any circumstances until payment has been received.

If your employer would like to pay on your behalf and requires an invoice please email education@canoe.org.au with whom the invoice is to be made out to, who the invoice is about and what awards are being registered/re-registered for. Your employer is to send an email with a receipt of payment to education@canoe.org.au.  Awards will not be processed until confirmation of payment has been received.

PLEASE NOTE: All prices include GST.

Where do I send my application or re-registration forms?


Attention: Education

Australian Canoeing

PO Box 6805

Silverwater NSW 2128

VIA EMAIL: education@canoe.org.au

Where can I view and print off my qualifications?

This can be done through the education website found here. You will require your  username and password.  If you require your login details please contact education@canoe.org.au.

I have obtained Australia Canoeing qualifications and they do not show up in MyRecord?

Please contact education@canoe.org.au with the type of award, when it was completed and where it was completed.


What am I covered for?

Please click here to find out more information on the AC Insurance.


How do I become an Assessor?

Information on how to become an Assessor with Australian Canoeing can be found here

Overseas Qualifications

I hold an overseas qualification, can it be transferrred to an AC qualification?

If you hold overseas qualifications and would like to transfer it to an Australian Canoeing qualification, please contact your local NTP.

The NTP will then determine the level of RPL they are able to offer from the information you supply.

National Training Providers

We do suggest that prior to contacting an NTP you collect together the following information.

  • Copy of your Overseas award
  • Logbook
  • A copy of a current first aid certificate
  • A reference from the company/canoe club
  • Anything else you may support your application

Statement of Attainment

As of 1st August 2012 Australian Canoeing will not be issuing Statements of Attainments, until further notice.

Those people who would like a Statement of Attainment can still have the box ticked on their assessment record paperwork and when Australian Canoeing can re-issue them, we will contact you to ask if you would still like a Statement of Attainment.

I have applied for a Statement of Attainment however it did not come with my Australian Canoeing certificate?

Statements of Attainments take an extra 3-5 weeks for processing as it has to be completed by the Australian Training Company.

If I want a Statement of Attainment however I did not apply for it at the time I received my award for the first time?

You are only able to gain a SOA at the time of assessment of your AC award. your AC assessor has to also hold a TAE qualification. This is a policy required by the Scouts Australia.

Recognition of Prior Learning

I would like to apply for an award through Recognition of Prior Learning, how do I do it?

In order to apply for RPL you will need to contact your local National Training Provider (NTP). The NTP will then determine the level of RPL they are able to offer from the information you supply.

National Training Providers

We do suggest that prior to contacting an NTP you collect together the following information.

  • Log book
  • A CV of your experience
  • A copy of a current first aid certificate
  • A reference from the company/canoe club
  • Anything else you may support your application