World Masters Sprint Wrap Up
The final day of racing at the World Masters Games saw the mixed events.
The last day (and what seems to be the fun day) of the World Masters Games canoe sprint competition (5 August) was the shortest finishing just after 1:00pm allowing the athletes to unwind after the competition. The day saw competition over 1000 and 200m in mixed classes.
- Sinisa and Yolanta Janic finished 5th in their heat of the 50+ mixed K2 1000. Although they qualified for the semi the results indicate that they did not start in the semi. Sinisa and Yolanta qualified for the final of the 50+ mixed K2 200 by finishing 5th. Seventh was their place in the final.
- Darren Lee and Lorraine Harper-Horak also qualified for the for the semi in the 50+ mixed K2 1000. For unknown reasons Darren and Lorraine did not start in the semi. Darren and Lorraine were third in their heat of the 50+ mixed K2 200m. In the final Darren and Lorraine finished 4th.
- Margaret and Jeremy Alderson finished 5th in the 60+ mixed K2 1000 final and later in the day backed this with a 6th place in the 60+ mixed K2 200 final.
- It was gold to Carla Dreyer and three Canadian athletes in the 35+ mixed K4 200m final. Carla and K2 crew mate Christopher Warne finished 4th in the 35+ mixed K2 200 final.
- Ann Lloyd-Green and Margaret Alderson won a bronze medal 60+ mixed K4 1000 final. Their team mates were from other nations. The K4 crew improved over the 200m distance claiming second place and the silver medal.
- Stuart Keay and Gertruida Holt teamed with 2 others from the United States of America to win a silver medal beating home Ann Lloyd-Green and Margaret Alderson.
- Di Chellew won 2 gold medals on the final day. The first was in the 60+ mixed K4 1000 final. The second gold medal was in the 60+ mixed K4 200m final. Di's team were from mixed nations. In the mixed 60+ K2 200 final Di teamed with Viacheslav Pershin to just miss the bronze medal and finish fourth.
Competition now concentrates on canoe polo for the next 3 days (6 to 8 August) and canoe slalom on 7 August 2013. Canoe Marathon competition will be held over 9 and 10 August.