World Masters Games - Day 2
Results from a long but successful day of competition.
Day 2 (4 August) of the canoe sprint program was long. The first event kicked off at 8:00am and the last of the 185 events concluded after 8:00pm. This day had competition over 1000m. Only 1000 and 200m events were offered at the World Masters Games.
- Darren Lee qualified for the semi final of the 45+ Men K1 by finishing second in his heat. In the semi final Darren finished first to easily qualify for the final. The final was a much stronger race and Darren finished out of the medals in seventh. Later in the day Darren paired with Siashey Yashin in the 50+ Men K2. The pair finished second in their heat qualifying for the final. Darren and Siashey won the bronze medal in the final. Darren teamed with three others from unknown countries to finish 2nd in the final of the 55+ Men K4.
- Sinisa Janic competed in the 50+ Men K1 and finished 7th in the heat. Sinisa achieved the same position in the semi and unfortunately did not make the final.
- Jeremy Alderson continued his success from the first day finishing 3rd in his heat of the 65+ Men K1. In the final Jerry improved on his heat position to win the silver medal.
- Gavin Godfrey finished 4th in the heat of the 40+ Men C1 qualifying for semi final. In the semi Gavin finished 5th and was unable to qualify for the final.
- Carla Dreyer finished 4th in the final of the 35+ Women K1.
- Di Chellew and her doubles partner from day 1, Ildze Blumbaha, won a bronze medal in the Women 60+ K2 final. Di had earlier finished 5th in the Women 60+ K1 final.
- Ann Lloyd-Green finished one place higher (4th) than Di in the Women 60+ K1 final.
- Also competing in the Women 60+ K1 1000 final was Margaret Alderson. Margaret finished sixth.
- In the Women 50+ K1 1000 final, Pauline Findlay finished in seventh place.
- The long time double pair of Dallas Newman and Lorraine Harper-Horak added to their medal collection with a silver in the Women 55+ K2 1000 final. They then added to their crew with Pauline Findlay and Yolanta Janic to win another silver medal in the Women 5+ K4 1000 final.
Results from Day 3 - the fun day follows.