World Masters Games - Day 1
National flags at the World Masters Games
Competition in canoe sprint commenced on Saturday 3 August in the 2013 World Masters Games.
Competition in canoe sprint commenced on Saturday 3 August in the 2013 World Masters Games. The day saw 205 events completed starting at 8:00am and concluding just after 7:00pm. All events on day one were over 200m.
Masters are leading the way with the inclusion of Women's C1 in the canoe sprint events.
A quick scan of the results revealed the following:
- Darren Lee came fifth in the 45+ Men K1 to qualify for the semi final. Darren finished 5th in the semi final just missing out on a spot in the final. Darren teamed with Siarhhey Yashin to finish 5th in the heat of the K2 however their 4th place in the semi again denied Darren a final berth. Darren did not finish the day disappointed collecting a silver medal in the 55+ Men K4 final. Darren was in a crew from mixed countries.
- Jeremy Alderson scored the first medal for Australia, a bronze in the 65+ Men K1 final. Jerry qualified for the final with a win in his heat. Late in the day Jerry teamed with Svenning Jorgensen in the 65+ Men K2 final but missed the bronze finishing 4th.
- Gavin Godfrey was 5th in the heat of the 40+ Men C1 to qualify for a semi final. In the semi Gavin finished 8th to miss the final.
- Carla Dreyer won Australia's first gold medal in Canoe / Kayak at the 2013 World Masters Games in the W 30+ K2. Carla teamed with Julie Laterreur for the win. Earlier in the day Carla finished 4th in the W 35+ K1 final.
- Di Chellew collected her first medal in the W 60+ K1 200m when she finished third. Di beat home Ann Lloyd-Green who finished 4th and Margaret Alderson sixth in the same event. Di upgraded her bronze for a silver medal in the W 60+ K2 when she partnered Ildze Blumbaha.
- Lorraine Harper-Horak and Dallas Newman won the bronze medal in the W 55+ K2. Lorraine and Dallas crewed with Pauline Findlay and Yolanta Janic to win silver in the W 50+ K4.
- Pauline Findlay finished 2nd in her heat of the W 50+ K1 to advance to the semi final. Pauline finished 6th in the final.
Results have been sourced from the 2013 World Masters Games web site and are taken as true.
Results for day 2 of competition will follow soon.